As a Mechanical Metallurgist – Surface Engineering you will play a critical role in qualifying additively manufactured parts for life-monitored applications fabricated using the world’s most productive metal additive manufacturing system.
You will be the technical champion for the customer at VulcanForms to ensure the highest quality product is being delivered to the customer. You will work with a diverse team of external and internal customers, set ambitious goals, monitor progress, communicate and coordinate your progress with the technical and non-technical leadership.
We seek an individual with surface engineering expertise to develop and characterize surface modification methods that enhance the fatigue and corrosion resistance of additively manufactured parts built from structural alloys such as tool steels, stainless steels, superalloys, titanium and aluminum alloys. Candidates must have experience qualifying surface processing methods for highly stressed, life monitored hardware using processes such as chem-milling, chem-polishing, macro-etching, peening, abrasive and vibratory surface finishing. Experience developing methods to enhance corrosion resistance using coatings, both chemically and physically applied, are also of interest. Demonstrated experience using qualification methods such as servo-hydraulic fatigue testing, corrosion panel testing, surface and sub-surface characterization and final part inspection techniques such as FPI/MPI/BEA is required.
- Excited about taking new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Strong sense of ownership and experience leading complex projects involving highly engineered
- BS, MS or PhD in Metallurgy, Materials Engineering or relevant field
- 10+ years of experience in structural alloy processing
- Experience working for an aircraft engine OEM or parts supplier is desired
- Experience with additive manufacturing methods like powder-bed fusion is a plus
- Self-motivated, capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Team player with great communication skills
- Eager to learn new skills
- This job may require occasional travel to customers and testing labs