As a Senior Additive Manufacturing Engineer at VulcanForms your main objective is to design, develop, optimize and implement a high-speed powder bed fusion process for industrial applications. You will be responsible for defining and executing process development strategies and roadmaps for the world’s most powerful and advanced AM systems. You will conduct hands-on experiments using our proprietary AM machinery and analyze its outcomes. You will collaborate with our software and controls experts to continuously improve the processes in order to provide our customers with superior parts that meet their qualification criteria.
You will be working closely with both internal and external customers to identify project deliverables and goals, manage and lead the project execution, document and report project progress and results, communicate milestones and deliverables with technical and non-technical leadership and stakeholders.
In addition, you will work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to further improve our AM system design and performance. You will participate in and provide first-hand feedback on machine design and integration, as well as software development and implementation. Additional tasks will include working with powder manufacturers, heat-treatment facilities and frequent interaction with customers to understand their requirements.
The main outcome of your work will be continuous improvement of our machine and process to provide our customers with superior parts of the highest quality.
- Must have experience in process parameter development and material qualification with a Powder Bed Fusion printer
- Excited about new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical, Materials Engineering or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in hands-on laser and/or electron-beam related AM process development
- Deep understanding of additive manufacturing methods like powder-bed fusion (PBF) or directed energy deposition (DED) is a plus.
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE) and process optimization
- Practical knowledge of metallurgy of alloys especially aluminum, titanium and nickel alloys
- Hands on experience with laboratory equipment for metallography and metallurgical analysis is a plus
- Hands on experience with mechanical and fatigue testing is a plus
- Team player with great communication skills.
- Eager to learn new skills